Skip to content
At Posh Minions Montessori School, we hold the care, safety, and well-being of children as a central and fundamental responsibility. Accordingly, our school pledges to conduct itself professionally, serve the child and uphold the South African Montessori Association’s (SAMA) code of conduct.
Purpose of the Policy
The purpose of this policy is to demonstrate the strong commitment of Posh Minions Montessori School to the care, safety, and well-being of all learners at our school.
This policy considers relevant legislative requirements, particularly section 28 in the constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
All learners enrolled at Posh Minions Montessori School have the right to feel safe and be safe. We have created a child-safe and child-friendly environment where children are free to enjoy life to the full without any concern for their safety. There is particular attention paid to the most vulnerable children, such as toddlers and children with disabilities.
We have a zero-tolerance for child abuse. We are committed to actively contributing to a child-safe school, where learners feel empowered, safe, and taken seriously if they raise concerns about their safety and well-being. We also value and support diversity, inclusion and equality.
Every person at Posh Minions Montessori School must understand the importance of their role in the well-being and safety of all children.
Our commitment to parents
- We commit to communicating honestly and openly with parents about the well-being and safety of their children.
- We commit to engaging with and listening to the views of parents and about our child-safety practice, policies, and procedures.
- We commit to transparency in our decision-making with parents and not compromise the safety of children or young people.
- We commit to continuously reviewing and improving our systems to protect children from abuse.
Our commitment to our school staff (employees, contractors & volunteers)
- We commit to providing all Posh Minions Montessori School’s staff with the necessary support to fulfil their roles; this will include regular and appropriate learning opportunities.
- We commit to providing regular opportunities to clarify and confirm policy and procedures for child safety and well-being.
- We commit to listening to all concerns voiced by Posh Minions Montessori School’s staff, volunteers, and contractors about keeping children safe from harm.
Posh Minions Montessori School has a moral, legal, and mission-driven responsibility to create a nurturing environment where learners are respected, heard, and safe.
In fulfilment of the obligation to the child, Posh Minions Montessori school shall provide a Montessori environment that reflects the implementation of authentic Montessori principles, which:
- encourages independent action in the pursuit of learning,
- protect the opportunity to provide for participation in educational programs without regard to race, sex, colour, creed or national origin,
- acknowledges the uniqueness, individuality, and specific needs of each learner,
- guides and encourages each child to realize their potential,
- takes reasonable measures to protect the health and safety of the child,
- keeps in confidence any information that has been secured in the course of professional service, unless disclosure serves professional purposes or is required by law,
- refrains from any form of harm or ill-treatment deliberately inflicted on a child,
- refrains from improper physical contact with learners,
- promotes gender equality,
- refrains from any kind of sexual harassment (physical or otherwise) of learners,
- refrains from any form of sexual relationship with learners at a school,
- Demonstrate Montessori Grace and Courtesy when interacting with the child.
Everyone employed or volunteering at Posh Minions Montessori School is responsible for understanding their specific roles individually and collectively. This is to ensure that the well-being and safety of learners are at the forefront of all they do and every decision they make.
The Principal’s Responsibilities
- To create an environment for learners to be safe and to feel safe.
- To promote models of behaviour between adults and learners based on mutual respect and consideration.
- To ensure thorough and rigorous practices are applied in the recruitment, screening and ongoing professional learning of staff.
- To ensure that school personnel have regular and appropriate learning to develop their openness to and ability to address child safety matters.
- To provide regular opportunities to clarify and confirm legislative obligations, policy and procedures for child protection and well-being.
Responsibilities of the school staff (school employees, volunteers and contractors) include:
- Treating learners with dignity and respect, acting with propriety, providing a duty of care, and protecting learners in their care.
- Reporting to the Principal or the police if they believe that a learner has been abused or neglected.
- Providing a physically and psychologically safe environment where the well-being of learners is nurtured.
- The undertaking of regular training and education to understand their responsibilities about child safety and the well-being of learners.
- Adhering to the school’s Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct.
Screening and Recruitment of School Staff
Posh Minions Montessori School conducts a mandatory screening process in the recruitment of its potential employees. In addition, all applicants are provided with copies of the school’s Child Safety Code of Conduct and the Child Safety Policy.
Breach of Policy
Where an employee is suspected of breaching any obligation, duty or responsibility within this policy, Posh Minions Montessori School will not hesitate to take disciplinary measures against such employee. In addition, where the Principal is suspected of breaching any obligation, duty, or responsibility within this policy, the concerned party is advised to contact relevant government regulatory departments, law enforcement agencies, and child protection agencies.